2021 Miski Mayo

Miski Mayo Awarded for Safety Practices

October 21, 2021

The Mosaic Company’s commitment to safety and the wellbeing of our employees is a top priority. Our partner in Peru, Miski Mayo, is just as dedicated to these standards, recently winning several awards for excellence in organizational health and safety.  

Miski Mayo participated in the Mining Safety Institute’s (ISEM) national mining safety contest. For the last two years Miski Mayo has been part of the top seven safest companies recognized in this contest, succeeding in taking the top spot in the 2019 lineup.  

“I want to thank all of the Miski Mayo employees and their families. This is everyone’s job and it is the workers who make it possible for our company to be a safe organization, always keeping in mind our core value: life first,” expressed Alejandro Cachay, Miski Mayo’s Safety, Health and Environment Manager, as he accepted the first-place plaque on behalf of the company. 

Akira Takahashi, Director of Operations for Miski Mayo, thanked ISEM for promoting spaces in which the safest companies are recognized, making safety a coveted value within organizations. Takahashi added that the recognition granted to Miski Mayo as one of the seven safest companies in 2020 is the sum of the efforts of all those who make up the company. Hear the full remarks on Miski Mayo's Facebook page. 

When Mosaic acquired Vale Fertilizantes in 2017, we became the leading fertilizer producer and distributer in Brazil and the operating partner of the Miski Mayo joint venture phosphate mining company in Peru. As part of the acquisition, Mosaic assumed 75 percent ownership of the company. Mitsui, based out of Japan, maintains ownership of the other 25 percent. Mosaic has another joint venture with Ma’aden in Saudi Arabia. Both partnerships are key parts of our long-term phosphates rock strategy.